Windsong is the leader in breast MRI in Western New York and the first imaging center in Western New York to receive the ACR accreditation for breast MRI. We pride ourselves on offering the most advanced scanners and dedicated breast coils at both our Williamsville and Hamburg offices.
Breast MRI Advantages
- Highly sensitive and specific breast cancer screening test to detect and characterize breast cancer
- Further evaluation if there are indeterminent findings in mammogram or ultrasound
- Provides evaluation for axillary lymph nodes and anterior chest wall structures
- The most sensitive test to evaluate for tumor response to chemotherapy, or to evaluate for post surgical tumor recurrence
- Excellent evaluation for breasts with dense tissue or high risk patients
- Evaluate for silicone implant integrity.
Pre-Surgical Breast MRI
Breast MRI has become a routine pre-surgical imaging evaluation for patients who are newly diagnosed with breast cancer. In many instances, additional tumor(s) can be found on the other breast or also within the same breast at a different location that were not visualized by mammography. An additional biopsy may be performed, which may modify the surgical plan if additional tumor(s) are detected.
MRI for High Risk Patients
Women who have a high risk for breast cancer may be appropriate candidates for breast MRI. Physicians may consider breast MRI evaluation for those who have strong family history, or personal history of breast cancer, or a first degree relative with certain genetic mutations or syndromes. An insurance pre-authorization that is generated from your doctor is necessary for a breast MRI.
Additional Diagnostic Services
- Breast Cyst Aspiration
- Needle Localization
- Breast Core Biopsy